Saturday 13 September 2014

| 0 comments |

The Plans of Mice* and Poets ...

I plan my day and write it down
Each task has its allotted time
Calculate my journeys into town
And on paper the agenda's fine.

But interruptions tend to come
From phone calls, visits or email
New challenges can make me run
And many of my targets fail.

A birthday phone call carries on
It's rare we have a time to chat
First minutes, then an hour is gone ...
Letters drop down on the mat.

A neighbour needs a helping hand
A light bulb pips – must be replaced
My mental hour glass loses sand
I fry an egg in nervous haste.

Cripes! Four o'clock – so much remains
I've had no time at all this week
To catch up, so I take great pains
To clear the decks and miss out sleep.

But as the daylight fades away
My agenda seems as long as ever
I shrug; stare at it in dismay
It is beyond my best endeavour!

(c) Poet in the woods 2014

* with apologies to Robbie Burns!



0 comments:

Post a Comment