Friday 26 August 2011

devil's paperwork










I am told to sign documents I can read

But I don't understand

I am told to sign one, two, three times

I get a nod when I do the one

I get more nods with two and three

My signature is crooked and ugly

But they are happy with it anyway

And I am now getting a handshake, a pat on the soulder



I am told a new life is waiting for me

I am not sure how it will look like

But it will be new

I am not scared for it's just paperwork

And it will all work out ok, I know

Or at least I try to remind myself everytime

It will all work out ok

One way or another

As I see them walk away



An easy transaction

I now deeply resent

As I regret it all -- my blood as ink,

The shoulder pats, the stupid confidence

The sorrow I can't feel

Because I sold it, and I sold it cheap



But I seem happy anyway





hollis temple (Raleigh, NC, 1975)

0 comments:

Post a Comment