Tuesday 3 December 2013

| 0 comments |

Long Haul Thoughts

Over thirteen hours we cross time zones
A constant engine hum - no 'phones.
I see our progress on the screen
Red flight path on a mottled green.

At various times throughout the flight
They bring us water and a bite;
These trolley dollies are quite sweet
But most of us would rather sleep!

I catch some shut-eye while aloft
But noises wake me, people cough.
The Asian lady by my side
Disturbs me during our long ride.

"A bladder problem, please excuse".
I flick the channels for some news.
Time goes on, the cabin's dimmed
I gaze around me, eyes red-rimmed.

In days gone by, it took three years
To get to southern hemispheres
So why complain about a day?
Australia is so far away.

We touch down in the early dawn
In London, near where I was born.
This is the last stop on my tour,
Now on to Belgium, home once more!

(written in 2006)

(c) Poet in the woods 2013



0 comments:

Post a Comment